Previously called Kuibishev, Samara is located on the River Volga some 700 miles to the south east of Moscow. It is about 1 hour and 20 minutes flight or 18 hours train trip from Moscow. Population of Samara city, the capital of Samara Region is about 1,179,200 people.
SAMARA REGION STATISTICS
Territory - 50 sq.kms
- On north - Tatarstan;
- In the south of Saratov province;
- On east - Orenburg province;
- On northwest - Ulyanovsk province;
- From north for south - 335 kms;
- From west for east - 315 kms.
The population (constant) - 3308.8 thousands people:
- Urban - 2666.2 thousands people;
- Agricultural - 642.6 thousands people.
- Samara - regions center (number of the constant population - 1179.2 thousands people);
- Syzran' (177.4);
- Toglyatti (708.3);
- Zhigulyovsk (47.0);
- Novokuibyshevsk (115.4);
- Chapaevsk (86.7);
- Kinel' (33.5);
- Pokhvsitnevo (27.2);
- Neftegorsk (21.4).